A graduate of the Art Academy of Cincinnati, JoAnn May maintains a gallery at her studio in Ripley where she and her husband Larry pursue their interest in restoration of fine art along with their personal work.
As an artist and long time collector of quilts JoAnn welcomed the opportunity to merge her passions of fine arts, restoration work and quilting by becoming involved with the Brown County Quilters. Her goal was to translate patterns selected by them into works of public art to be shown throughout the county on barns. It has been a successful collaboration and one that she feels excited about being a part. A special thanks to Carol Stivers, project coordinator, and all the Brown County Quilters.
Brown County's Quilt Barn Project
QUILT BARNS 1. Ohio Star 5505 US 62 & 68, Ripley Owned by: Ohio Valley Manor N38°47'15" W083°48'11"
2. Le Moyne Star 325 W. State Street, Georgetown Owned by: The Brown County Fairboard Painted by JoAnn May and 2004 Make a Difference Day Volunteers N38°51'50" W083°54'31"
3. King Cross 15218 US 68, Mt. Orab Owned by Joe & Phyllis Tieman N39°03'21" W083°55'29"
4. Star and Cross 6280 US 68, Ripley Owned by Art & Juanita Jenson N38°49'51" W083°48'26"
5. Lone Star 849 St. Rt. 125, Hamersville Owned by Steve & Debbie Friskney N38°56'43" W084°01'45"
6. North Star - Lone Star 12126 Purdy Road, Sardinia Owned by: Dorothy Ernst N38°58'18" W083°48'54"
7. Martha Washington Star 11835 Pool-Kuntz Road, Sardinia Owned by: Lanny & Pat Ogden N38°57'54" W083°46'34"
8. Georgetown Circle 760 St. Rt. 756, Felicity Owned by: Michael & Jean Steele N38°51'33" W084°01'57"
9. Union Appalachian Gateway Center 12681 US 62, Sardinia Owned by: Southern State Comm. College N38°59'12" W083°43"04"
10. Double Star & Double Star Creeks Edge 3241 US 52, Higginsport Owned by: Skip & Denise Bollinger N38°47'23" W083°56'52"
11. Ohio Star Variation 7362 Tri-County Hwy, Sardinia Owned by: Anna Turner N39°00'12" W083°47'60"